Monday, November 24, 2008

To say something or not to say something.....

Blessed though we are to have things like jobs, food on the table, and picturesque mountains to gorp at, there's no escaping the heavy heart syndrome on a day like today. Sat on the number one bus in Geneva, snaking through the early morning traffic, it seemed almost criminal to be away from the deep untouched powder that tantalisingly surrounds the city. Snow they predicted, and snow it did. At least the lifts are not yet working, that brings some relief......

So then I spotted that a smartly-dressed lady was standing in the middle of the bus with a prominent 'Réservé' sticker on the back of her coat. Put there by a jealous and possessive husband? Put there by herself to put off anyone who fancied their chances? Or just an embarrassing accident? The latter, I presumed - as she would have needed the extra 'e' on 'réservéé' for it to apply to her, unless of course she wasn't a she, maybe a cunningly deceptive 'she-he'. Perhaps. But then, perhaps not.

I was going to say 'Excuse me but you appear to have a reserved sticker attached to your coat', but partly due to my frustrated ski-bum misery, a lack of confidence to be able to carry off that kind of remark in French, and also because I didn't want to scupper a perfectly excellent joke, I let the lady walk off the bus with the offending sticker still attached.

But if the sticker stays stuck, this unfortunate lady could spend many cold and loveless months suffering a crisis of confidence about her lack of approaches from the opposite sex. She could suffer years of celibacy just because I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get out of my seat and explain what was afoot. OK, I'll stop there......

0 comments: